Catering for Different Special Requirements in Care Homes at First Thought Seem to Be Very Difficult and Time Consuming. However, If You Get the Knowledge and the Products – It Can Be Made Very Simple. Organisation Is Definitely Key.
Check out Some of Collective’s Favourite Special Dietary Requirements Recipes!
Diabetic Winter Veg Pie:
Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 onion, 1 tbsp flour, 300g (about 2 large) carrot, ½ cauliflower, 4 garlic clove, finely sliced, 1 rosemary, 400g can chopped tomato, 200g frozen pea, 900g potato, 200ml/7fl oz milk.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a flameproof dish over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 mins until softened, then stir in the flour and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the carrots, cauliflower, garlic and rosemary, and cook for 5 mins, stirring regularly, until they begin to soften.
- Tip the tomatoes into the vegetables along with a can full of water. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 mins, then remove the lid and cook for 10-15 mins more, until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are cooked. Season, stir in the peas and cook for 1 min more.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain, then place back in the saucepan and mash. Stir through enough milk to reach a fairly soft consistency, then add the remaining olive oil and season.
- Heat the grill. Spoon the hot vegetable mix into a pie dish, top with the mash and drag a fork lightly over the surface. Place under the grill for a few mins until the top is crisp golden brown.
Diabetic Chocolate Muffins with Hot Chocolate Custard:
Ingredients: 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 100g self-raising flour, ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, 50g golden caster sugar, 100ml skimmed milk, 1 egg, 2 tbsp sunflower oil (plus extra for greasing), 2 x 150g pots low-fat custard, 25g dark chocolate (chopped).
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Brush 6 holes of a muffin tin with a drop of oil. Sieve the cocoa into a large bowl, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Stir to combine, then make a well in the centre.
- Beat the milk, egg and oil together in a jug, pour into the well, then stir quickly to make a batter. Spoon into the muffin tin, then bake for 15 mins or until risen and firm to the touch. Heat the custard in the microwave according to instructions, or in a pan, then tip in the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth. Turn the puddings into bowls and pour the custard over.
Gluten Free Pesto Pasta:
For the pesto: 100g Hazelnuts, 100g Grated Parmesan, Half a clove of garlic, 6 Tsp Olive Oil, One large handful of parsley, One large handful of basil, Juice of 1 lemon, Salt & pepper, Water, Gluten free Spaghetti, Baby Plum Tomatoes, 1 Courgette (peeled into strips), Optional: Pine Nuts, Optional: Cheddar Cheese (grated).
- In a blender, combine the ingredients for the pesto and blend well. Add a little water to get the right consistency.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Add the courgette strips 2 minutes before the end time of cooking and drain both together. When draining, keep a small amount of the pasta water and put it, along with the pasta, back into the pan. Stir in the pesto.
- Quarter the tomatoes and add these in. I like to stir in some grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of pine nuts for a little added bite.
- Finish in a bowl with a little parmesan on the top and a couple of basil leaves.
Raw Chocolate Brownies: (Gluten Free)
Ingredients: 100g (3 1/2oz) medjool dates (stones removed), 50g (2oz) dried strawberries or black cherries, 100g (3 1/2oz) smooth almond or cashew butter, 50g (2oz) whole blanched almonds, 50g (2oz) coconut oil, 1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar, 50g (2oz) dark chocolate, grated, 50g (2oz) dairy and gluten-free cocoa powder, 100g (3 1/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped, 2 tbsp coconut cream, 15g (1/2oz) pistachios (chopped).
- Put all the ingredients for the brownies into a food processor and blitz until well mixed. Spoon the mixture into an 18cm (7in) square cake tin.
- Put the tin into the freezer for around 15 minutes, to firm up the brownie mix. Meanwhile, melt together the dark chocolate and coconut cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Once the chocolate mix has melted, smooth it over the top of the brownies, sprinkle with the pistachios and allow to set in the fridge for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve, or store in the fridge for up to a week.
Chicken Goujons (Egg, Dairy and Gluten Free):
Ingredients: 400g pack chicken breast strips or breasts cut into even sized strips or chunks, 3 tablespoons plain flour (or corn flour if Gluten Free), 2 tablespoons oil, 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk, Two ends of a loaf of bread (use any bread you like, Gluten Free if needed).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the bread in a food processor and whizz until the bread is fine breadcrumbs
- Put the oil and milk in a small batter bowl and whisk until well mixed and frothy with a stainless steel whisk.
- Put the flour on one plate and bread crumbs on another.
- Coat each chicken strip well by rolling it in the flour, then transfer to the oil and milk emulsion and coat well in that too.
- Place the strips on the breadcrumb plate and coat in the breadcrumbs by turning and patting them on.
- Place the chicken on a flat stone such as a medium bar pan (you’ll need two of these) or a rectangle stone, and cook in the oven for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with chips or mash, peas, and plenty of sauces for dipping.
Meat Free Chicken a’la King:
Ingredients: 1 box Fry’s Meat Free Chicken-Style Strips, 50g margarine (for frying), 250g punnet mushrooms, cleaned and sliced, 1 green pepper – sliced, 50g margarine, 1 tsp. crushed garlic, 60g maizena flour (mixed in ½ a cup water and ½ a cup milk or try dairy-free milk), 2 tsp. black pepper, Salt to taste, 250ml can fresh cream (or try Orley Whip Imitation Cream), Nutmeg to garnish, Parsley to garnish.
- Melt margarine in frying pan and cook through Fry’s Strips. Drain and set aside. Fry mushrooms in remaining oil for 2 minutes and add green pepper and sauté for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Sauce: add 50g margarine, crushed garlic and maizena flour mixture and stir continuously until mixture thickens. In a large pot, add sauce, fresh cream, strips mixture, black pepper and salt and simmer for 2 minutes. Sprinkle Nutmeg and parsley on top.
Schnitzel Vegan Burgers:
Ingredients: 2 Fry’s Golden Crumbed Schnitzels, 1 tbsp Margarine, 1/4 Onion, sliced, 2 tsp Olive oil, 2 Bread rolls of your choice, 2 tsp Oil of your choice, 50g Wild mushrooms, 10g Fresh rocket or lettuce, 1/2 Avocado (sliced).
- Heat margarine in a thick based pan and fry onions until they start caramelising. Drain and set aside. Add 1 tsp olive oil to the pan, toast bread until golden brown and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to that pan and sauté mushrooms. Drain and set aside. Heat 2 tsp of oil and fry schnitzel until golden brown.
- Build your burger using the bread, onion, mushroom, schnitzel, fresh rocket or lettuce and avocado. Serve with a fresh side of salad of your choice.
Kosher Maple Salmon:
Ingredients: ¼ cup maple syrup, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 minced garlic clove, ¼ teaspoon garlic salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 pound salmon.
- In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.
High Calorie Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding:
Ingredients: 250g blueberries, 800ml Millac Gold Double, 100ml Viva Whole Milk, 6 eggs, 100g caster sugar, Icing sugar.
- Place the blueberries in a pan with a little bit of water and reduce until the consistency of jam.
- Whisk together the Millac Gold Double, Viva Whole Milk, sugar and eggs.
- Place the brioche in a baking dish and pour over the whisked mixture.
- Sprinkle over a few blueberries and bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees
- Remove from oven, then dust with icing sugar and serve with the blueberry compote.