This week sees the start of World Allergy week 2018. Catering for people with allergies can be daunting at first. You may think it is difficult and time-consuming. However, with the correct knowledge and ingredients, you can create a great allergy free menu.
We have dug into our blog archive to find these recipes from 2015, why not try them today!
Gluten-Free Pesto Pasta:
For the pesto: 100g Hazelnuts, 100g Grated Parmesan, Half a clove of garlic, 6 Tsp Olive Oil, One large handful of parsley, One large handful of basil, Juice of 1 lemon, Salt & pepper, Water, Gluten-free Spaghetti, Baby Plum Tomatoes, 1 Courgette (peeled into strips), Optional: Pine Nuts, Optional: Cheddar Cheese (grated).
- In a blender, combine the ingredients for the pesto and blend well. Add a little water to get the right consistency.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Add the courgette strips 2 minutes before the end time of cooking and drain both together. When draining, keep a small amount of the pasta water and put it, along with the pasta, back into the pan. Stir in the pesto.
- Quarter the tomatoes and add these in. I like to stir in some grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of pine nuts for a little-added bite.
- Finish in a bowl with a little parmesan on the top and a couple of basil leaves.
Raw Chocolate Brownies: (Gluten Free)
Ingredients: 100g (3 1/2oz) medjool dates (stones removed), 50g (2oz) dried strawberries or black cherries, 100g (3 1/2oz) smooth almond or cashew butter, 50g (2oz) whole blanched almonds, 50g (2oz) coconut oil, 1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar, 50g (2oz) dark chocolate, grated, 50g (2oz) dairy and gluten-free cocoa powder, 100g (3 1/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped, 2 tbsp coconut cream, 15g (1/2oz) pistachios (chopped).
- Put all the ingredients for the brownies into a food processor and blitz until well mixed. Spoon the mixture into an 18cm (7in) square cake tin.
- Put the tin in the freezer for around 15 minutes, to firm up the brownie mix. Meanwhile, melt together the dark chocolate and coconut cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Once the chocolate mix has melted, smooth it over the top of the brownies, sprinkle with the pistachios and allow to set in the fridge for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve, or store in the fridge for up to a week.
Chicken Goujons (Egg, Dairy and Gluten Free):
Ingredients: 400g pack chicken breast strips or breasts cut into even sized strips or chunks, 3 tablespoons plain flour (or corn flour if Gluten Free), 2 tablespoons oil, 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk, Two ends of a loaf of bread (use any bread you like, Gluten Free if needed).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the bread in a food processor and whizz until the bread is fine breadcrumbs
- Put the oil and milk in a small batter bowl and whisk until well mixed and frothy with a stainless steel whisk.
- Put the flour on one plate and bread crumbs on another.
- Coat each chicken strip well by rolling it in the flour, then transfer to the oil and milk emulsion and coat well in that too.
- Place the strips on the breadcrumb plate and coat in the breadcrumbs by turning and patting them on.
- Place the chicken on a flat stone such as a medium bar pan (you’ll need two of these) or a rectangle stone, and cook in the oven for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with chips or mash, peas, and plenty of sauces for dipping.
Meat Free Chicken a’la King:
Ingredients: 1 box Fry’s Meat Free Chicken-Style Strips, 50g margarine (for frying), 250g punnet mushrooms, cleaned and sliced, 1 green pepper – sliced, 50g margarine, 1 tsp. crushed garlic, 60g maizena flour (mixed in ½ a cup water and ½ a cup milk or try dairy-free milk), 2 tsp. black pepper, Salt to taste, 250ml can fresh cream (or try Orley Whip Imitation Cream), Nutmeg to garnish, Parsley to garnish.
- Melt margarine in frying pan and cook through Fry’s Strips. Drain and set aside. Fry mushrooms in remaining oil for 2 minutes and add green pepper and sauté for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Sauce: add 50g margarine, crushed garlic and maizena flour mixture and stir continuously until mixture thickens. In a large pot, add sauce, fresh cream, strips mixture, black pepper and salt and simmer for 2 minutes. Sprinkle Nutmeg and parsley on top.
Schnitzel Vegan Burgers:
Ingredients: 2 Fry’s Golden Crumbed Schnitzels, 1 tbsp Margarine, 1/4 Onion, sliced, 2 tsp Olive oil, 2 Bread rolls of your choice, 2 tsp Oil of your choice, 50g Wild mushrooms, 10g Fresh rocket or lettuce, 1/2 Avocado (sliced).
- Heat margarine in a thick based pan and fry onions until they start caramelising. Drain and set aside. Add 1 tsp olive oil to the pan, toast bread until golden brown and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to that pan and sauté mushrooms. Drain and set aside. Heat 2 tsp of oil and fry schnitzel until golden brown.
- Build your burger using the bread, onion, mushroom, schnitzel, fresh rocket or lettuce and avocado. Serve with a fresh side of salad of your choice.